SEPTEMBER IS HUNGER ACTION MONTH
How Will You Take Action?
Food is one of the most basic human needs. Food sustains us and fuels us. And healthy food can have a direct impact on our overall health and well-being. Unfortunately, the high cost of healthy food combined with the high cost of daily living in Fairfield County can make it difficult for individuals and families to keep healthy food on the table each month. This is where Person-to-Person (P2P) comes in.
P2P helps meet the needs of thousands of our neighbors with its extensive food program. With food pantries in Darien and Norwalk, a mobile food pantry in Stamford, and our Door2Door home food delivery program, P2P is dedicated to getting food where it needs to be.
The Need for Assistance is Still Great.
In the past 12 months, P2P has provided enough healthy, nutritious groceries for more than 2 million meals to nearly 20,000 people. 40% of P2P’s food clients are children.
These programs and level of service are only sustainable with your support.
5 Easy Ways to Take Action
For Hunger Action Month this September we have created 5 easy ways for you to support our food programs and make an immediate and healthy impact in the lives of thousands of people in our community.
You can choose to make an immediate financial gift, host a food drive, donate to a local food drive, or volunteer with P2P. Choose your means of impact.
1.MAKE A FINANCIAL GIFT.
Your donation will support our food program and P2P’s mission to provide essential services for 28,000 people in our community who need a lift up.
Click here to make a gift today.
2.HOST A FOOD DRIVE.
Hosting a food drive is easier than you may think, especially if you get the support of friends and family, community group, or school group. And the P2P team is here to help you every step of the way.
To speak with someone about hosting a food drive, please email Juri Garone @ jurigarone@p2pHelps.org.
3.SUPPORT A LOCAL FOOD DRIVE.
We are so fortunate to be part of such a generous community. Here is a list of local food drives in September that will benefit P2P. Click here to see our list of most needed food pantry items.
- SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 10am to 12pm. Drive-thru Food Drive at P2P in Darien (1864 Post Rd), hosted by Sacred Heart University students
- SEPTEMBER 15 – 19, Temple Shalom, 259 Richards Avenue
- SEPTEMBER 15-19, Temple Beth El, 350 Roxbury Road
- SEPTEMBER 15-19, Young Israel of Stamford, 69 Oaklawn Avenue
- SEPTEMBER 15-19, Temple Sinai, 458 Lakeside Drive
- SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 10am – 12pm, Westport Weston Family YMCA, 14 Allen Raymond Lane, Westport, Drive-thru food drive hosted by National Charity League of Westport
- MONDAY-FRIDAY THROUGHOUT SEPTEMBER (except Labor Day), 9:30am – 3:30pm. Hosted by Mid-Fairfield County Association of Realtors (MFCAR). Donation drop-off at MFCAR, 19 Imperial Avenue, Westport (M-F, 9:30am – 3:30pm)
4.VOLUNTEER WITH P2P.
There are volunteer opportunities at all three P2P sites (Darien, Norwalk and Stamford), including:
- Door2Door Delivery Drivers
- Food Pantry Help (Norwalk and Darien)
- Food Warehouse Help (Stamford)
- P2P on Wheels (mobile food pantry) in Stamford
Sign up today! Click here for more info.
5.WEAR ORANGE and #FIGHTHUNGERWITHP2P.
Hunger Action Month was established by Feeding America back in 2008, to help drive awareness for the hunger crisis across the country. Orange was chosen as the color to represent hunger and this initiative.
Another way to help take action is to bring awareness, by wearing orange or posting our #FIGHTHUNGERWITHP2P sign and post on social media. Make sure to tag Person-to-Person and use the hashtag #FightHungerWithP2P. You can do this throughout the month of September, including September 17, Hunger Action Day. DOWNLOAD/PRINT FLYER.
Pictured is Sandra C, a member of our Darien-based casework team.